1003  N. Arendell Avenue

Zebulon, NC 27597

(919) 269-7455



Have a question we didn't answer? Send it to us using the CONTACT page!

1. What is a Unified Development Ordinance (UDO)?

A Unified Development Ordinance combines the Town’s zoning and subdivision regulations into one official document that regulates growth and development.  It includes regulations that govern the location, size, and appearance of new development and redevelopment projects in Zebulon and its extra-territorial jurisdiction (land outside the Town limits but still subject to the Town's UDO).  The UDO includes such provisions as zoning district regulations, development review procedures, and development standards such as those covering parking, landscaping, building setbacks, size, and appearance.  A link to the Town's current development ordinance can be found in the Document Center of this website. 

2. Why is the Town updating the UDO now? 

The Town's development code was last updated in 1992, nearly 25 years ago. Since that time, the Town has adopted a new Comprehensive Plan (in 2008) and has seen the beginnings of what is predicted to be large-scale growth moving across Wake County. There have also been numerous changes in state and federal law as well as advancements in planning and zoning best practices in the past 25 years. For these reasons, the Town began a UDO update project by contracting with The Lawrence Group in November, 2013. The project was paused in 2014 following the delivery of initial documents and is now being revisited in order to prepare for coming growth, implement the policy guidance in the Comprehensive Plan, and perform legal updates to the code. 


3. Will Grow Zebulon change the zoning on my property? 

While Grow Zebulon is not primarily a rezoning project, it is expected that there will be some changes to the Town's zoning district lineup as well as allowable uses, development standards, and design standards within zoning districts. As a result of Grow Zebulon, some properties may be eligible to apply for optional rezoning. 

4. What is the schedule for the project? 



5. Who is managing the project? 

CodeWright Planners, LLC is the consulting firm retained by the Town to assist planning staff with Grow Zebulon.  They will be working directly with an Advisory Committee, the Planning Board, and the Town Council, as well as receiving input from all interested residents and stakeholders within the Town.  CodeWright is small planning and zoning firm with offices in Durham, NC.  The firm is currently working with numerous communities across the state to update and improve their planning and regulatory documents. More information on the firm can be found at www.codewright.info.

6. Where can I find information about proposed changes to the UDO? 

The Document Center page of this website will be updated regularly to include links to all draft documents and supporting information relevant to the project.

7. How can I get involved in Grow Zebulon? 

Visit the Get Involved page of this website for announcements about meetings and other opportunities for public involvement throughout the project. If you have a question or comment about the project, visit the Contact page to get in touch with the project team.